Butchers Unions affiliate with San Diego Federated Trades and Labor Council.
Retail Clerks affiliate with San Diego Federated Trades and Labor Council.
Meat Cutters Local 229 becomes one of the strongest unions in the nation under the leadership of Max Osslo.
Local 1222 is granted a charter from the Retail Clerks International Association.
The Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen of North America merged with the Retail Clerks to form the United Food and Commercial Workers Union. The Barbers and Beauticians Union joined UFCW Later that year.
The memberships of the Retail Clerks Local 1222 and the Meat Cutters Local 229 merged into
UFCW Local 135.
The United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 135, has a long history dating back to the early 1900’s. In 1903 the Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen of North America (AMC & BW of NA), Local 229 of the Western Federation of Butchers, also known as the Butchers Union and Meat Cutters Union, became affiliated with the San Diego Federated Trades and Labor Council in 1903. In 1917 the Retail Clerks organized and affiliated with San Diego Federated Trades and Labor Council.
Meat Cutters Local 229, under the leadership of Secretary and Business Manager Max Osslo, became one of the most respected and powerful unions in the United States. Mr. Osslo served for 46 years, beginning in 1936, as head of the Meat Cutters in San Diego and was key to creating apprenticeship programs for meat cutters, slaughterhouse workers, and others in the industry to help them become journeymen. He served on many boards and commissions during his tenure at Local 229, including on the national board of the Leukemia Society, whom UFCW Local 135 still has a relationship with to this day.
The contemporary era of the Retail Clerks Union started in 1943 with International representative Samuel Meyers. Mr. Meyers started an organizing campaign for grocery clerks. In 1944, Retail Clerks Local 1222 received their charter from the Retail Clerks International Association.
The United Food and Commercial Workers union was founded in 1978 when the Retail Clerks International Association merged with the Amalgamated Meat Cutters. Also joining were the Barbers and Beauticians Union.
In January of 1986 the membership of the Retail Clerks of Local 1222 and those of the Meat Cutters at Local 229 merged to form one of the biggest unions in San Diego County, the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, Local 135.
Today, under the leadership of President Todd Walters, Secretary-Treasurer Grant Tom, and Recorder Maribel Mckinze, UFCW Local 135 has a membership of over 13,000 workers with nearly 7000 retirees. The current membership of Local 135 consists of workers in various fields including grocery & retail, health, pharmacy & dental, meat & sugar processing, casino, and cannabis.