The steward program is for union activists. Stewards participate in a wide range of activities that include organizing non-union employees, market share protection, politics, community activism, member education, and in-store mobilization. Stewards act as a liaison between the union and the members and give us a constant union presence in the workplace.
Stewards keep up to date on all union activities and current events and are able to report all important information to their fellow members. We read all available union literature such as The Worker. Stewards are leaders and mentors in their workplace who have earned the respect of both management and fellow members. Stewards truly value the benefits of their union job and always strive to protect those benefits.
Becoming a Steward is a big responsibility, but you will get the greatest satisfaction from helping our fellow union members.
How to become a Steward
The Steward Program is a non-paid volunteer position open to all UFCW members in good standing. If you are interested in becoming a steward, please contact us at the number below.
Participate in any and all union activities which include but are not limited to: Organizing non-union employees, market share protection, politics, community activism, member education and in-store mobilization.
- Attend all union meetings which include: Annual Steward’s Seminar, union workshops, membership votes, etc.
- Volunteer to precinct-walk and phone bank during the political season and encourage my co-workers to participate.
- Talk to non-union workers and attain a minimum of one lead per year.
- Welcome and educate all new members about the benefits of being a union member.
- Become an Active Ballot Club member and registered voter, and assist my union in signing up others.
- Participate in the annual “Light the Night” walk to raise money for Leukemia and Lymphoma research and encourage my fellow co-workers to participate.
- Post the monthly “Member Alert” in a timely manner on my break room bulletin board.
- Notify my union representative of contract violations.
- Direct my co-workers to the proper department. ( i.e. membership, insurance, pension, etc.)
Thank you for your interest and participation in the Local 135 Steward Program. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to call your Union Representative at (619) 298-7772, ext. 126.